Apr 5, 2012

Featured Artist:

Katie Dube
Katie Dube

"My favorite thing about making art is the feeling of it.  It’s absorbing-- like reading a first-rate novel.  You need to find out what happens next.  When my work is going well, I’m filled with a sense of curiosity and deep interest.  As the piece moves along, I often get a feeling that I’m witnessing it.  I also feel complicit in the making of art: I see the piece has needs, and my job is to meet them as best I can.  It’s more communion than sheer execution, and I pay close attention in order to do this, to a million things.  These things are like the stories in that book you can’t stop reading-- the characters, their drama, their surprises.  But this time it’s how the light affects color, the dampness of the brush and the broken lines it helps to make, the weird angle of an edge.  Everything’s interesting, and the plot thickens.  It’s a great feeling."

No comments:

Post a Comment